Ensure a safe and effective upper endoscopy procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Night before morning procedure:
- Have a light meal with plenty of liquid.
- Absolutely no solid foods or liquids after midnight.
Day of afternoon procedure:
- No solid foods. Only clear liquids allowed until 4 hours before your arrival time. No liquids with red, blue, purple, orange, or yellow coloring. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (with no fruit pieces)
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade /Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- Bring a list of all current medications and dosages that you take with you to the office.
- Bring a list of any allergies you have (example: shellfish, Iodine).
- You may have a mild sore throat after the examination. Cepacol® lozenges are recommended for relief. Please contact our office if you are experiencing severe pain, difficulty swallowing, bleeding and/or fever.
- If biopsies are obtained during your procedures, it may take up to 10 business days to receive results from lab. You may contact the office for your pathology results after 10 business days.