Ensure a safe and effective upper endoscopy procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
- If on arthritis medication or any new medications, check with physician before procedure.
Night before morning procedure:
- Have a light meal with plenty of liquid.
- Absolutely no solid foods or liquids after midnight.
Day of afternoon procedure:
- No solid foods. Only clear liquids allowed until 4 hours before your arrival time. No liquids with red, blue, purple, or orange coloring. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (with no fruit pieces)
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade /Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- Bring a list of all current medications and dosages that you take with you to the office.
- Bring a list of any allergies you have (example: shellfish, Iodine).
- You will need a ride home from the hospital. Hospital policy requires a responsible person provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- You may have a mild sore throat after the examination. Cepacol® lozenges are recommended for relief. Please contact our office if you are experiencing severe pain, difficulty swallowing, bleeding and/or fever.
- No driving or operating machinery 24 hours after procedure.