Ensure a safe and effective upper sigmoidoscopy procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
- Purchase, over the counter at any pharmacy, Purchase two (2) Saline Fleet’s Cleansing Enemas (not Fleet’s Phosphosoda or oil enemas) and one (1) bottle of Milk of Magnesia or its generic equivalent.
Night before procedure:
- Take 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia.
- Absolutely no solid foods or liquids after midnight.
Two hours before procedure:
- Take first Fleet’s Saline Cleansing Enema.
One hour before procedure:
- Take second Fleet’s Saline Cleansing Enema.
- Nothing to eat or drink until after procedure.
- No solid foods. Only clear liquids allowed until 4 hours before your arrival time. No liquids with red, blue, purple, orange, or yellow coloring. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (with no fruit pieces)
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade /Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice