Cancer of the colon and rectum occurs when a growth in the lining of the colon or rectum becomes malignant, or cancerous. It usually develops from pre-cancerous grape-like growths on the inside wall of the colon or rectum called polyps. Polyps grow slowly over many years. Most people do not develop polyps until after the age of 50.
While colorectal cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States, more than a third of colorectal cancer deaths can be avoided with regular screenings. If caught early, colorectal cancer can be cured.
Because there are usually no symptoms of colorectal cancer, it is important to have a colorectal cancer screening.
The physicians at Atlantic Digestive Specialists have saved thousands of lives by thoroughly screening adults age 50 and over with colonoscopies. Talk our gastroenterologists to make an informed decision about which screening tests are right for you.
Symptoms & Signs of Colorectal Cancer
- There are usually no symptoms
- Rectal bleeding
- Blood in stool
- Temporary change, especially in shape of stool
- Discomfort in having bowel movement
- Frequent cramping in lower abdomen
- Frequent gas pains
- Weight loss without dieting
- Constant fatigue
Causes of Colorectal Cancer
- Family history
- Advancing age
- Personal history of colorectal cancer or polyps
- Personal history of inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Inherited syndrome such as Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP)
- Lynch Syndrome, a hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer
Diagnosis of Colorectal Cancer & Colorectal Cancer Screening Tests
- Fecal Immunohistochemical Test (FIT)
- Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT)
- Computed Tomographic (CT) Colonography or Virtual Colonoscopy
- Stool DNA (sDNA)
- Digital Rectal Examination
Treatment of Colorectal Cancer
- Colon polyp removal
- Colorectal cancer treatments from surgery to cutting edge biologic therapy
You can trust the highly experienced, board-certified gastroenterologists at Atlantic Digestive Specialists to provide you with personal care and the latest diagnostic and treatment capabilities. Experts in treating colorectal cancer, contact us now.