Ensure a safe and effective upper sigmoidoscopy procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
- Purchase, over the counter at any pharmacy, Purchase two (2) Saline Fleet’s Cleansing Enemas (not Fleet’s Phosphosoda or oil enemas) and one (1) bottle of Milk of Magnesia or its generic equivalent.
Night before procedure:
- Take 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia.
Two hours before procedure:
- Take first Fleet’s Saline Cleansing Enema
One hour before procedure:
- Take second Fleet’s Saline Cleansing Enema.
Day of procedure:
- You may eat breakfast or lunch.