The purpose of this prep is to clean your colon. The cleaner your colon is prior to your exam, the more likely we are to locate any abnormalities.
Ensure a safe and effective colon prep by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- Fill your prescription for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit at your pharmacy.
- Purchase 125mg of Simethicone ( Gas X).
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
Three days before procedure:
- Avoid corn, popcorn, and foods with seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables.
Day before / 24 hours before procedure:
- Start a clear liquid diet. No solid food until after your colonoscopy. No red, orange, blue, or purple foods or drinks. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (no fruit pieces) / Popsicles
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade / Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- After waking in morning drink at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every hour until you go to bed.
Night before procedure at 5 pm:
- Pour one 6 oz. bottle of Suprep liquid into the mixing container. Add cold water to the 16 oz. line on the container and mix. Drink all the liquid in the container. Drink two more 16 oz. containers of water over the next hour.
Morning of procedure four hours prior to arrival time:
- Pour the one remaining 6 oz. bottle of Suprep liquid into the mixing container. Add cold water to the 16oz line on the container and mix. Drink all the liquid in the container. Drink two more 16 oz. containers of water over the next hour.
Three hours before procedure:
- Nothing further by mouth, with the exception of any medications. Medications may be taken with small sips of water.
Day of procedure:
- You will need a ride home from the hospital.
- Hospital policy requires a responsible person over the age 18 to provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- Drink at least 6 more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid prior to bedtime.
Day following procedure
- May begin driving or operating machinery.