Ensure a safe and effective H-Pylori Breath Test by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
14 days before test:
- Do not take antibiotics, prescription and/or over-the-counter Proton Pump Inhibiters such as Prlilosec OTC, Protonix, Prevacid, Aciphex, or Nexium, Omeprazole, Zegerid, anti-diarrheal medications containing Bismuth.
- Please contact our office if you are unsure whether or not your medication is included in the list above.
- Do not take barium.
- H2 Antagonist (example: Pepcid, Zantac, Tagament, Famotidine, Ranitidine, Cimetidine) may be substituted in place of Proton Pump Inhibitors as these medications do not affect test results as long as stopped 24 hours before your test.
- If you are unsure if your medication falls in the Proton Pump Inhibitors or H2 Antagonist categories, please contact the office and ask to speak to the clinical department.
One hour before procedure:
- Do not eat or drink anything.
Day of procedure
- Your test will take approximately 15 minutes.
- If you are 18 years old or younger, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you for your procedure.