Ensure a safe and effective liver biopsy procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
- If on arthritis medication or any new medications, check with physician for specific instructions.
Seven days before procedure:
- Stop all aspirin or non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory medication unless otherwise specified by your physician (i.e.: Advil, Ibuprofen, Vioxx, Nuprin).
Three days before procedure:
- No strenuous or heavy lifting
Day before procedure:
- If you need pain relief, you may take all regular non-aspirin medications. Tylenol is the preferred brand.
Morning of procedure:
- Have a liquid breakfast, no solids. You may have:
- Pulp-free juices
- Cream soups
- White bread/toast
- Milk shakes
- Ice cream
Day of procedure
- Your procedure lasts approximately 3-4 hours.
- You may drive yourself home.