The purpose of this prep is to clean your colon. The cleaner your colon is prior to your exam, the more likely we are to locate any abnormalities.
Ensure a safe and effective colon prep by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- Pick up a bottle of Miralax at pharmacy (over the counter).
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
Five days before procedure:
- Mix one capful of Miralax with an 8 oz. glass of water and drink. Do this three times during the day during these five days.
Three days before procedure:
- Avoid corn, popcorn, and foods with seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables.
Two days before procedure:
- Start a clear liquid diet. No solid food until after your colonoscopy. No red, orange, blue, or purple foods or drinks. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (with no fruit pieces)
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade / Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- Starting at 10 am drink at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every hour until you go to bed.
- Prepare Nulytely solution in the morning by adding approximately 4 Quarts of HOT tap water to the fill line on the container. Shake repeatedly to be sure the powder is completely dissolved. Place in refrigerator to cool.
5:00 pm day before procedure:
- Drink 8 oz. (240 mL, large glass) Nulytely every 15 minutes, for a total of 3 liters (3/4 of the solution).
Four hours before scheduled arrival time for procedure (may need to wake during night):
- Start drinking 8 oz. (large glass) of Nulytely every 15 minutes for a total of 1 liter (until the remainder is gone) and at least 8 oz. (large glass) of clear liquids. The timing of this dose is important and should not be altered.
- Immediately drink 3 more 8 oz. (large glasses) of clear liquids, and then stop drinking.
Three hours before procedure:
- Nothing further by mouth, with the exception of any medications. Medications may be taken with small sips of water.
Day of procedure:
- You will need a ride home from the hospital. Hospital policy requires a responsible person over the age 18 to provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- Drink at least 6 more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid prior to bedtime.
Day following procedure
- May begin driving or operating machinery.