Ensure a safe and effective lactose tolerance (bacterial overgrowth) procedure by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
Two weeks before procedure:
- No Enema or Barium Studies.
- If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, it will be necessary to reschedule your procedure.
- No antibiotics.
Day before / 24 hours before procedure:
- No smoking (including second hand smoke).
- Avoid the following foods:
- Grain products: pastas, whole grain products (including cereals and melba toast), brans or high fiber cereals, granola etc.
- All bread
- Fruits, fruit juices, applesauce, dried fruits, yogurt with fruit in it.
- Vegetables, vegetable juice (i.e.- potatoes, salad, broccoli …etc).
- Nuts seeds and beans — any foods that contain seeds.
- All dairy products (except eggs)- milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter.
- Meats, pastas, corn or products that contain corn.
Last meal night before procedure:
- Suggestions for the last meal to consume prior to procedure:
- Baked or broiled chicken, fish or turkey (salt and pepper only)
- Plain steamed white rice
- Clear chicken or beef broth
- 12 hours before procedure:
- Nothing to eat or drink prior to your procedure. (This includes gum, mints, candy, water, etc. When brushing your teeth, do not swallow the water or toothpaste). Only rinse with water — do not use mouthwash.
- Fasting begins at 8:00 PM the night before your procedure.
One hour before procedure:
- No sleeping or vigorous exercise.
- No physical exertion, sleeping, or eating during the procedure. Feel free to bring a book, laptop, or any device that will occupy your time. You may also want to bring a light sweater, as the office can get cool.
Day of procedure
- Please arrive promptly at our office for your procedure at 8:15 AM.
- Your procedure lasts approximately three (3) hours, beginning at 8:15 am to approximately 11:30 am.
- If you are 18 years old and younger, a parent/legal guardian must accompany you for your procedure.