The purpose of this prep is to clean your colon. The cleaner your colon is prior to your exam, the more likely we are to locate any abnormalities.
Ensure a safe and effective colon prep by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- Pick up prescription for OSMO tablets at pharmacy.
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
3 days before procedure:
- Avoid corn, popcorn, and foods with seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables.
Day before / 24 hours before procedure:
- Start a clear liquid diet. No solid food until after your colonoscopy. No red, orange, blue, or purple foods or drinks. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (with no fruit pieces)
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade / Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- After waking in morning drink at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every hour until you go to bed.
4:00 pm day before procedure:
- Take 4 OSMO PREP tablets with at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every 15 minutes until 20 tablets and 40 oz. (5 large glasses) of liquid have been consumed.
- Continue to drink clear liquids.
Four hours before procedure (may need to wake at night):
- Take 4 OSMO PREP tablets with at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every 15 minutes until 12 tablets and 24 oz. (3 large glasses) of liquid have been consumed. The timing of this dose is important and should not be altered.
- Immediately drink 3 more 8 oz. (large) glasses of clear liquids, and then stop drinking.
Three hours before procedure:
- Nothing further by mouth, with the exception of any medications. Medications may be taken with small sips of water.
Day of procedure:
- You will need a ride home from the hospital. Hospital policy requires a responsible person over the age 18 to provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- Drink at least 6 more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid prior to bedtime.
Day following procedure
- May begin driving or operating machinery.