The purpose of this prep is to clean your colon. The cleaner your colon is prior to your exam, the more likely we are to locate any abnormalities. Ensure a safe and effective colon prep by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- Fill your prescription for Prepopik bowel preparation at your pharmacy.
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
Three days before procedure:
- Avoid corn, popcorn, and foods with seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables.
Day before / 24 hours before procedure:
- Start a clear liquid diet. No solid food until after your colonoscopy. No red, orange, blue, or purple foods or drinks. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (no fruit pieces) / Popsicles
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade / Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- After waking in morning drink at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every hour until you go to bed.
Between 5:00 – 9:00 pm day before procedure:
- Mix packet 1 of Prepopik with cold water in dosing cup and drink. Drink five 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid over the next five hours.
Five hours before procedure (may need to wake during night):
- Mix packet 2 of Prepopik with cold water in dosing cup and drink. Drink at least three 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid.
Three hours before procedure:
- Nothing further by mouth, with the exception of any medications. Medications may be taken with small sips of water.
Day of procedure:
- You will need a ride home from the hospital.
- Hospital policy requires a responsible person over the age 18 to provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- Drink at least 6 more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid prior to bedtime.
Day following procedure
- May begin driving or operating machinery.