The purpose of this prep is to clean your colon. The cleaner your colon is prior to your exam, the more likely we are to locate any abnormalities.
Ensure a safe and effective colon prep by following these instructions exactly as directed below.
- At first appointment tell your doctor if you are taking any blood thinner/coagulant medications other than aspirin.
Several days before procedure:
- Pick up prescription for MoviPrep at pharmacy.
- It is very important that you remain well hydrated for a number of days prior to and after the procedure. Gatorade® or sports drinks will result in better hydration than drinking just water alone.
Three days before procedure:
- Avoid corn, popcorn, and foods with seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables.
Day before / 24 hours before procedure:
- Start a clear liquid diet. No solid food until after your colonoscopy. No red, orange, blue, or purple foods or drinks. Consume only:
- Italian Ice (no fruit pieces) / Popsicles
- Black Tea/Coffee (No Milk or Cream)
- Crystal Light
- Hard Candy
- Fruit Juice without Pulp
- White Grape Juice
- Gatorade / Sport Drinks
- Apple Juice
- After waking in morning drink at least 8 oz. (1 large glass) of clear liquids every hour until you go to bed.
- Prepare the MoviPrep solution by following the directions provided with your prep kit. Please note, MoviPrep can be refrigerated prior to drinking, however, the mixed solution must be used within 24 hours.
5:00 pm day before procedure:
- Drink 8 oz. (large glass) MoviPrep every 15 minutes for a total of 1 liter MoviPrep.
Four hours before procedure (may need to wake during night):
- Drink 8 oz. (240 ml) MoviPrep every 15 minutes, for a total of 1 liter MoviPrep. The timing of this dose is important and should not be altered.
- Immediately drink 3 more 8 oz. (large glasses) of clear liquids, and then stop drinking.
Three hours before procedure:
- Nothing further by mouth, with the exception of any medications. Medications may be taken with small sips of water.
Day of procedure:
- You will need a ride home from the hospital.
- Hospital policy requires a responsible person over the age 18 to provide transportation after your procedure. No taxis or public transportation acceptable. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of procedure.
- Drink at least 6 more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid prior to bedtime.
Day following procedure
- May begin driving or operating machinery.